Among a great number of waterproofing products only few of them are successfully used for waterproof for windows. The waterproofing is very often performed only partially or it is postponed indefinitely at all.
Construction foam advantages and disadvantages
It is widely accepted that after the installation of windows gaps between window frame and aperture are filled with polyurethane construction foam. And it is obvious because the foam has a number of advantages:
- it insulates the room well;
- performs compact sealing;
- protects from excess noise;
- neutralizes wind load.
However, in the course of time construction foam can start to lose its properties. Here what happens to this material when it is not protected:
- the open construction foam under the ultraviolet exposure over time starts to darken and crumb;
- the foam is a hydrobonder literally and it means that it should be protected especially from precipitation freezing over in winter;
- dry foam in case of temperature change, transforms its original volume. Such temperature swings can lead to technological gaps, cracks occurring and to air through current penetration.
- Common waterproofing variants
In order to prevent foam transformation into powder after initial PVC windows waterproofing it is preferable to plaster outer slopes with a layer of a cement and sand composition or other plaster compound as soon as possible after windows installation.
There is another simple waterproofing variant – the joint between window and wall from the outer window side can be treated with silicone sealant for external works right over the foam surface.
Waterproofing with hydrophobisator and liquid rubber application
For recent years the application of hydrophobisators – compositions of organic nature, that include in its compound silicon and that have water repellence – gets more popular.
The hydrophobisator mortar is applied to the treated surface, with the result that a hydrophobic film occurs on it that doesn’t locks the air penetration but prevent the humidity penetration into the room. The film is invisible to eyes, it doesn’t spoil the overall view and can perform its function quite long.
In similar conditions liquid rubber that consists of cold bitum two-compound mastic can be applied. It can be successfully applied to concrete, wood, stone, and even metal surface.
It may happen that very soon new all-purpose even more reliable drought-proofing and waterproofing windows products will appear on construction material markets, but in the meantime the competent utilization of available agents can still provide perfect results.