Basement is a room that can be used for different purposes: foodstuff storage, goods stocking and so on. However, humidity can become a serious barrier for all these undertakings. Basement waterproofing is the only way to avoid water penetration into walls, that can become a reason for a number of troubles.
If water congregates in the basement, significant humidification or leaks through floor to walls abutting joints or joints between blocks occurs, the cause is in an unsatisfactory outer foundation wall surface isolation.
In this case you will need to conduct an external basement wall waterproofing set of works. For this purpose you need to do following works:
- perimeter walk disassembly (it is better to be made with chisel hammer or powerful pneumatic hammer, however it can be made with simple crow bar);
- trench excavation along walls across the construction (trench width should be of such size that there was enough space for all the necessary manipulations. Usually 50-70 cm is enough. The deep depends on the lower plate bed level, it can vary from 70 cm to 2 m, most often 120-150 cm);
- foundation walls cleaning from dirt and old isolation;
- walls treating with wire brush and pneumatic hammer for crumbling layer removing;
- waterproofing (first of all sweep dust and sand from walls. Then apply bitum primer with thin layer. Wait until drying out. If a layer is too thin, apply one more. Wait until primer drying out that plays the part of primer dipping. When the prime coat has dried out completely, apply mastic resin. Having applied the first layer, you will have to wait at least a day. Then apply the second layer with the same way);
- dumping with sand or clay;
- perimeter walk reconstruction.
Basement internal waterproofing begins with walls cleaning. You need to remove the trim completely from the concrete. Then treat concrete with wire brush manually or with angle grinder. Then clean walls from dust and rubbish remains and wet them carefully hydro-blaster or water hose with forcing final. Apply penetrant waterproofing mortar to well wet walls with construction brush and closed nap. After the first layer has been applied and has started to set, apply the second layer.
Waterproofing basement cost
Basement waterproofing cost entirely depends on the chosen technology, quantity and complicatedness of works. Also the quality of chosen material depends on the cost. Qualitative basement waterproofing has no low cost. In order to provide a building with protection from water and to expel humidity out of the basement, the capital investment is necessary.